Moving to the groove

Published in Sunday People, New Sunday Times
8 November 2009


Moving to the groove
MAX KOH



From left: Kalaivani, a teacher in Singapore; Sandhya, a yoga instructor; Nisha, an advertising executive.

Dance for the goddess. Mantras with no meters. MAX KOH talks to the movers behind Chalaachala


IT doesn’t really matter what dance form you’ve seen, but did the music move you too? After all, how can there be dance without music?

I am ensconced with danseuse-choreographer Geetha Shankaran-Lam and composer Jyotsna Prakash on the rooftop of the 10-month-old Temple of Fine Arts Building in Brickfields.

The river Gombak meanders beside the building. With a balmy breeze, the mood was set to talk about the intricacies behind TFA’s latest dance offering, Chalaachala: Stillness In Motion.

“There is no dance without music,” says Geetha.

Jyotsna agrees. “As a composer, I have written a lot of music. One way to gauge whether it works is to see if it makes me want to dance. If it inspires movement, then I know it is a good piece,” says Jyotsna who was trained as an odissi dancer.

Jyotsna’s piece is featured in Chalaachala. It took seven years for Jyotsna to complete her composition.

The odissi presentation is choreographed by Geetha and will feature three new odissi dancers — Kalaivani Kumareswaran, Nisha Sivanandan and Sandhya Manoj.

Chalaachala explores the ever-flowing tradition of classical dance which embraces the past, present and future, to finally return to the Supreme Source.

One piece, Shreem, features the original composition by Jyotsna who has set the Shri Chakra mantra to music.

It was a challenge, she explains.

“The thing about the mantra is that it does not have a consistent meter, which proved to be a challenge for me to set to music. But I think it worked really well.”

The duo say it is no easy feat to write a song set to the ancient and sacred Shri Chakra mantra and to present it as an offering to the Divine Mother, the Matrix and beginning of all Creation as believed by the Hindus.


Jyotsna’s piece Shreem fills the second half of the show

Shreem debuted in the Navarathri festival at the TFA this September and has been reworked to suit the concept and choreography of Chalaachala.

“I’ve never done much research when I do a composition but I let the music take me back to the place in the beginning.

‘‘We were all born innocent, and I let the music help me explore my inner self.”

Geetha choreographed Shreem after listening to Jyotsna’s inspired piece.

“When I listen to her composition,” says Geetha, “I find that I can really relate to her soul.”

“I think we share a similar way of thinking. Because of her background as an odissi dancer, she understands how to write music for dance.

“Music is movement of the soul, and Jyotsna understands the subtlety, the nuances and the beauty of it.



Music is movement of the soul, says Geetha

“She is not afraid to explore her innermost feelings to express the ideas and to let her subconscious take over to produce a beautiful work of art as a tribute to the goddess and Swamiji (Shantanand Saraswathi, the founder of TFA),” she says.

The two artistes are forging on despite criticisms from traditionalists.

“The traditionalists often criticise how we live and the way we have interpreted the sacred texts.

‘‘You have to understand that dancing is a way of life for traditionalists. Their lives are devoted to dancing. They cannot marry, have children, and work,” explains Geetha.

“But our Swamiji has always taught us to think outside of the box. He taught us that all works are inspired by Divine Mother, as we find new ways to express love for her.”

“I am a mother of three children, and I have gone through different joys and turmoils in my life,” says Geetha who is married to another dancer, TFA’s production and publicity co-ordinator Lam Ghooi Ket.

“All my choreography has been an expression of what I feel at the different stages of my life.”

Which leads us back to Chalaachala.

“The person I am inside remains the same although we are shaped by the many different circumstances our of our lives. That is the stillness in the midst of motion around us.”

Chalaachala will also see the debut of another original work, Spanda, based on the movements and stances of the Kalaripayattu martial arts form, a 2,000-year-old discipline from Kerala.

“Music and dance are universal. It reaches out to peoples’ heart,” says Jyotsna whose works for TFA is a blend of classical Indian, fusion and contemporary elements.

“Over the last 20 years, the works of TFA have helped me and others to find answers.

‘‘Dance and music are powerful mediums. They can calm, heal, cure and even stop a war. Music and dance can move people’s hearts and change their minds,” says Geetha.

Chalaachala: Stillness in Motion will be performed at Auditorium Tunku Abdul Rahman, Jalan Ampang on Nov 22-23. Shows begin at 8pm. Call 03-22743709 or visit www.tfa.com.my.

0 comments: