Sarimah speaks out

Published in Sunday People, New Sunday Times
15 November 2009




Sarimah speaks out

TV host Sarimah Ibrahim talks to MAX KOH about The Biggest Loser Asia, her brush with cancer and why it’s so important to take care of Sarimah the person first before Sarimah the celebrity

SARIMAH Ibrahim is not an unfamiliar face in the broadcasting industry. After bursting onto the small screen 13 years ago in The Attic Show, the television host has charmed audiences with her bubbly personality and can-do attitude.

Meeting her for the first time at this interview, I am amazed at how youthful she looks. I first saw her on television when I was in lower secondary school and here she is now, in the flesh! It’s as though 13 years have flashed by and she’s barely been touched by the vestiges of time.

Sarimah makes herself comfy on the sofa in the NSTP studio room and removes her sash that reads Ambassador Against Cervical Cancer. Though she’s feeling a little tired, she bravely puts on a winsome smile and exudes that effervescent personality that has been charming audiences for years.

“The skill is in looking good even when you’re tired and haven’t slept or eaten,” she confides. “It’s what people expect of us. As a television personality, we give people a form of escapism.”

One does wonder how she does it. She had just come from a 15-hour shoot for The Biggest Loser Asia (TBLA) and to make things worse, she had a flat tyre on the way.

Sarimah is here to talk about her experience hosting the first TBLA which premieres on the Hallmark Channel on Nov 24.

“It’s definitely an exciting, overwhelmingly experience for me. It has been an eye-opener and I’m learning new things every day,” she says.

Feedback from the producer and director has been nothing but encouraging. “What’s really great about working on this show is that I don’t have to compromise my values and morals. The director and producers listen and value my input for the show,” she adds.

Sarimah was auditioning for Contender Asia when she was asked to go for a screen test for TBLA as well. Three months later, she received a call saying that she got the job.

“My background (she has worked in Ireland, Dubai and Malaysia) appealed to them. They felt I was most suitable because of my image, my popularity and what I represented for women, men, family values, Asians and my uniqueness,” she adds.

During the TBLA auditions in the different South-East Asian countries, Sarimah was overwhelmed by how the people were so receptive of her.

“It was like one of those bingung moments. They were rushing to take pictures with me. I supposed they can identify themselves with me because of my mixed heritage,” says Sarimah who has Irish, Italian, Chinese, Malay and Indonesian blood.

I mean, I can represent the whole world,” she says, laughing. “You couldn’t mix it up any more than me.”

This has been her most challenging job so far. “Hosting a reality show is challenging because you incorporate elements of acting, singing and modelling. This show takes it to next level because of it regional and possibly international level.”

TBLA will be broadcasted in more than 20 countries in Asia with possibility of reaching Europe and United States.

Sarimah's voice for the voiceless

It seems rather apt that Sarimah has been chosen to host a health-based show such as TBLA. She has always aligned herself with NGOs such as National Cancer Council (Makna), Malaysian AIDS Foundation, and World Vision.

Recently, she was named spokesperson for National Cancer Society Malaysia’s (NCSM) “Power Over Cervical Cancer” awareness campaign.

Her involvement could not have been more personal as Sarimah was once diagnosed with a cyst in her cervix.

“Several years ago, I was so career-driven that I forgot to put myself as a woman first. I was busy being a TV host, singer, actress and model and I took my health for granted.

“I experienced pain in my tummy and I had to go to the toilet very often. But I ignored the signs, thinking that I just had a weak bladder. Because I did not take early preventive measures and go for tests, I developed a cyst.

“I only found out when I almost fainted on location one day because of the severe pain. I went for a pap smear because I knew there was something not right. The doctor sent me for a scan and found a cyst the size of a small watermelon.”

She underwent emergency operation the next day to have it removed. “The doctor said I was lucky because it could have burst or developed into cancer.”

She was told that the cyst had been growing for the past seven years.

Sarimah did the math and realised it dated back to the start of her career. “I was so busy focusing on my job that I forgot about my health.”

Her younger brother was diagnosed with leukaemia. “We never thought it could happen to him because he was only 18, handsome and an outgoing person. He went for treatment and thank God he is now alive and healthy.

The thing is, it can happen to anyone — your brother, sister, parents or friends. So put your health first.”

This is also why Sarimah has agreed to be a spokesperson for NCSM. “There are things in life than you can control and things you cannot. If you love yourself or a woman in your life, encourage yourself or her to take the tests and let professionals take care of you.”

Today, Sarimah goes for regular check-ups and is more diligent about her health. “Whenever I have the time, I exercise and I do Pilates at least three times a week,” she says. “This is why I can endure 15 hours of shooting and still come here to talk to you.”

Sarimah Sdn Bhd

2009 also marks a new chapter for Sarimah, both personally and professionally.

“This year has been an eye-opener. I’ve had to rethink my health priorities. I realise that being a celebrity comes with great responsibilities. The moment I step out of my apartment, I am in the public eye. Therefore, I have to be careful with everything I say or do.

“I realised this when I got divorced recently and my picture appeared on the front page of a daily newspaper, sharing space with the Prime Minister and Angelina Jolie,” she says, laughing. “A mistake will have a ripple effect on your career.”

While she maintains a friendly relationship with her ex-husband, she is launching Sarimah Sdn Bhd in a few months.

“Lately, I realised that I have a huge impression on people around me. What I say, what I stand for and what I do have an effect on people. So, with branding myself, I can express what I stand for more clearly, rather than have news of what I do scattered around.”

That includes putting Sarimah the person before the celebrity. “My doctor says I’m as healthy as a horse today. If I don’t take care of myself, I won’t be able to speak up for things that I’m passionate about.

“And while I’m still can, let everyone use my voice for good causes.”


The Biggest Loser Asia premieres on Hallmark Channel on Nov 24 and airs every Tuesday at 9pm.

0 comments: